Earn While You Learn

Full-time students may also be eligible to work off-campus for any employer. These permits usually allow up to 20 hours per week during the term, and full-time during holidays. No separate work permit is required.

You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if:

  • You are a full-time student at:
  • A public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec or
  • A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
  • A Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees and
  • You have a valid study permit.

Students who do not have a study permit are not eligible.

Some university programs require work experience. International students who want to enroll in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit in addition to their study permit.

Get more details on working in Canada.

Popular Institutes